Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Firenze







     inappropriate graffiti, replica of David (can't take pictures of the real one or of the slaves), adorable teenaged itaian couple, ponte vecchio, same cute italian couple except older in the future?, fun little italian woman sitting outside la accedemia by some bikes.

      I love florence! Its possibly my favorite city, next to San Francisco. I love the feel of it. Less gritty than Rome, and absolutely beautiful. The history is amazing. All the famous painters! Florence is where the Medici's are from. And Dante and Botticelli. Florence back in the renaissance was such a powerful, important city, and you can just feel it in the air. I splurged on a leather jacket, it'll be my big purchase for the trip. For dinner we went to a beautiful tuscan villa, where we sipped champagne in their rose garden, gazing out at the sun soaked villa. Its run as a little bed and breakfast. It was originally a summer home for an Austrian duchess, and now her great granddaughter runs it. I would love to be born into that family sheesh. Just being in florence makes feel important. Like looking at all those amazing, historical places makes me more important too. But it also makes me feel really small. In awe of the accomplishments of these people. I saw michealango's David, but I like his unfinished slaves best. They're called the slaves because of the positions they're in. They're bodies are contorted, they're unfinished muscles bulging. They're slaves literally fighting to emerge from the marble blocks they're trapped in. I love the passion in them. It seems like everything these ancient people left behind here vibrates and pulsates with such beauty and passion. I want to create something with the same energy.

"Beauty awakens the soul to act"
-Dante  aligheiri