Sunday, June 26, 2011

Left my heart (and wallet) in venice!

The first time I visited Venice two years ago, I hated it. It was the first city we landed in, it was dirty and gross and mildewy and cramped and dark. Now after visiting it the second time, I love it! Its romantic and beautiful and sensual. I love the feel of it. Everything feels beautiful. I loved watching the boats glide through the murky canal waters. I loved the look of the water lapping at the base of ancient, decreipt looking buildings. It all had so much character. I love that canals replace streets, and everyone has a boat. I love how more and more convoluted it becomes as you approach the center, as if the city is slowly sucking you in, trapping you in its musty fumes. I feel like that sentence kind of made me seem like a prick, but it's accurate. something about Venice is so moody, filled with a beautiful melancholy.






Venice at night, shells on the beach, gondola ride, old doorway, bridge, more Venice!

"A realist, in Venice, would become a romantic by mere faithfulness to what he saw before him"
-Arthur Symons